During the last week of July 2023 and 2024, the City of Brownsville’s Parks and Recreation Department (PARD) will be hosting for the first time in Brownsville history, the Games of Texas! The Texas Amateur Athletic Federation (TAAF), a nonprofit organization that governs the Games of Texas, an amateur sports competition created for athletes throughout the state of Texas.
The Games of Texas is the largest multi-sport event in Texas. Patterned after the Olympics, the Games of Texas has an emphasis on the recreational athlete and the enhancement of his or her competitive experiences.
The City of Brownsville Parks and Recreation Department provides the event venues and coordination of
the event and promotion efforts.
The City of Brownsville Parks and Recreation (PARD) is looking to cost share the summer Games of Texas host responsibilities with local sports associations to help get exposure to their association and fundraise for association needs through registration, gate, concession, or parking fees.
The following Sports are available to be planned and operated by a Host Association:
- Fast Pitch Softball
- Flag Football
- Disc Golf
DATES OF FACILITY USE / COMPETITION
Ideally, host a tournament between the dates of Thursday, July 27, 2023, and Sunday, July 30, 2023. It can be less than four days or more if need be.
- Email Letter of intent to [email protected] by Friday, February 10, 2023, 3pm
- Submit RFP Response by Wednesday, February 15, 2023, 3pm
- Selection of Host Association by February 22, 2023, notification via email.
- Attend Mandatory on March 22 or 23, 2023, Meeting with TAAF Executive Director, Mark Lord
TAAF provides its long-standing reputation for professional amateur athletic tournaments operating for 98 years. Hosting a TAAF-sanctioned event is recognizable across the State of Texas by athletes, coaches, and recruiters!
The Texas Amateur Athletic Federation is a nonprofit organization established in 1925 to promote, organize and conduct amateur athletics in the state of Texas.
Their mission shall be to create and maintain in the State of Texas a permanent organization representative of amateur athletics and/or organizations, devoted thereto; to establish and maintain the highest ideals of amateur sports in the State of Texas; promote the development of physical education and to encourage the standardization of rules of all amateur athletics, games, and competitions.
The Federation shall consist of organizations of a permanent status that are active and interested in the promotion of amateur athletics and representative of one or more sports in their respective
The objectives of Texas Amateur Athletic Federation, Incorporated are both charitable and educational.
Currently their membership consists of over 140 organizations with over 210,000 individual participants.
HOST ASSOCIATION REQUIREMENTS
- The host club is a vital component of providing a successful bid and is committed to hosting a TAAF Games of Texas sport in a quality venue that is safe and attractive to our players and
- Awards – Official Games of Texas medals and ribbons must be used and is the responsibility of the host association and purchased through the TAAF State office awards supplier. The medal or ribbon order must be made fifteen (15) weeks (April 07, 2023) prior with the TAAF State office.
- Venue Liability Insurance: covering owners, participants, officials, volunteers, and spectators.
- Provide Accident Insurance for participants, officials, and volunteers.
- Participate in the Opening Ceremonies for the Parade of Athletes.
- Responsible for Participant entry/registration fee. (Must be registered with TAAF and pay fee)
- Payment to TAAF of ten dollars ($10.00) per individual entered in any non-TAAF sport.
- Payment to TAAF of ten dollars ($10.00) per team in all team sports, plus the cost (year of games rate) of individual insurance (currently 2016-$1.15 per participant).
- Payment of game fees for officials.
- Game balls and equipment.
- Scorers, attendants, statisticians, announcers, etc.
- Provide Participant Packet.
- Provide Awards Ceremonies to winners
Souvenir Sales – All Games of Texas Souvenirs are for sale from the TAAF association only. Other souvenirs may be for sale, but a percentage must go to PARD and to TAAF.